You only get one chance to make a great first impression!
Graphic design plays a huge role in building a brand. Branding and design go hand in hand. They are the Lucy and Ethel in marketing. One just isn’t as great without the other. As a graphic designer, we take into consideration the following elements to produce high quality, professional designs every time.
- Balance: It lends stability and structure to the overall design.
- Proximity: It helps in create a relationship between similar or related elements in a design.
- Alignment: It gives an ordered appearance to images, shapes, and blocks of texts by eliminating elements placed without thought.
- Visual Hierarchy: Hierarchy is formed when extra visual weight is given to the most important element or message in your design.
- Repetition: It’s a fundamental design element, especially when it comes to branding.
- Contrast: Is the difference between the two opposing design elements.
- Color: As a graphic designer, it’s always helpful to have a basic knowledge of color theory.
- Negative Space: It’s okay to have negative space! It can help highlight the important components of your design.
- Typography: If we had any advice to give it would be, “Please do not use Comic Sans!”
- Rules: Don’t compromise what you are trying to communicate for the sake of sticking to these fundamental graphic design elements. Rules are meant to be broken!